As shown in Table 1591, the percentage of the Court’s criminal docket accounted for by final judgments and death penalty appeals remained quite high throughout the years 2010-2020.  In 2010, 60.27% of the docket was either from final judgments or death cases.  That rose into the seventies from 2011 to 2013 before falling back a bit to 67.27% in 2014.  For 2015, 70.45% were final judgments or death cases.  The next year, it was even higher – 76.92%.  The share fell over the next two years, to 57.14% in 2017 and 58% in 2018, before rising to 65.85% in 2019 and 61.9% last year.

For the entire thirty-one-year period (1990-2020), the Court has decided 1,722 criminal, quasi-criminal, juvenile justice and mental health cases.  Five hundred eighty of those cases arose from final judgments and an additional 587 arose from death penalty cases.  So 33.68% of the docket arose from final judgments and 34.09% from death penalties – a total of 67.78%.

Join us back here next week as we turn our attention to a new issue.

Image courtesy of Flickr by Vahe Martirosyan (no changes).